General Chili RecipeCourse: SoupsCuisine: Entree, SoupsDifficulty: Medium
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion, diced finely
1 large bell pepper, minced
3 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 Jalapeno Peppers, minced (optional)
1/2 cup chili powder
fresh ground black pepper
red pepper flakes
salt to taste
- Cook and stir the beef, onion and bell pepper in a large pot over medium heat until beef is brown and onion and bell pepper are tender.
- Drain grease from beef
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapenos (if using), chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- Bring mixture to a slow boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer chili at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally so that it does not stick.
- The chili can be simmered for several hours, the longer you simmer, the more flavor will be developed.